Monday, February 16, 2009

Perspective

5 years ago I was afraid of driving. I was following my first boyfriend around, with lovey dovey eyes. I was intent on singing my best in choir and in the high school's musical. I was excited about the football game I was going to on Friday with all my friends.

5 years from now I may be a struggling teacher. I may be trying to raise my kids better than my parents did. I may have a car with a sunroof and nicely placed cup holders. I may be painting pictures to hang in my cozy house. I may be finding an editor to publish my book. I may be jotting down everything I can remember from my childhood, so as a parent and a teacher I don't lose perspective.

10 years ago I was learning the social norms of my society. I was learning how to keep track of my homework when I had two houses to lose it in. I was trying to fit in with the boys. I was following the rules of my house without question, but learning how to get my way.

10 years from now I may be sending my kids to school, a system I hope I am proud to work for. I may be diversifying my investments to ensure a more solid future. I may be painting the walls of my newer and bigger home. I may be running around worse than before to get the family few and where they need to be. I may be struggling with the path I choose; with the life I made.

I may regret not being a music major.
I may regret losing that friend.
I may regret not taking my life into my hands and wrestling it for all it's worth.

But I may be happy with the man I am with, the children I have, my pets, my jobs, my friends, my pastimes, and the person that I am.

I hate how there is no way to be sure whether to go left or right; to walk away or not.

how does one learn to let go of the past, delight in the present, and be enthusiastic about the future?

any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment